This Monday isn’t any ordinary Monday… It’s actually my birthday! I thought so long and hard about what flavour I should do for my birthday, debating what my favourite flavour of all time might be. And then it hit me… the perfect flavour to do for a birthday is birthday cake!! How painfully obvious, right!? I have a major sweet tooth, so birthday cake flavoured things appeal to me. And how adorable and festive is this sprinkle-speckled treat?
You can gluten-free it up by leaving out the actual mix, the almond & vanilla extract along with the sprinkles will give a birthday cake flavour all on their own, but I think the cake mix adds something special. You can use store-bought cake mix or a recipe to make your own such as this DIY Brown Eyed Baker one.
- 1.5 cups of heavy cream
- .5 cups of milk
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbs white sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¼ cup funfetti dry cake mix
- ¼ cup multi-coloured sprinkles (jimmies)
- 1) Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl and set aside.
- 2) Combine the heavy cream, .5 cups of milk and the white sugar in a heavy bottom pan and heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is hot but not simmering or boiling. This should take about 5 minutes.
- 3) Take a cup of the hot cream mixture and drizzle it slowly into the egg yolks while whisking. Make sure you combine slowly or else you might end up with scrambled eggs!
- 4) When the yolk and cream mixture is thoroughly combined, drizzle it slowly into the rest of the hot cream while whisking.
- 5) Continue to heat on medium, stirring constantly with a spoon, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of the spoon.
- 6) Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
- 7) Add the vanilla and almond extracts
- 8) Pour into a storage container of your choice, placing plastic wrap along the surface of the ice cream base to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the fridge until COMPLETELY cold, overnight is best.
- 9) Whisk in the cake mix until smooth and no lumps remain
- 10) Churn according to your ice cream maker’s directions and just before you’re ready to pull it out, pour in the sprinkles and allow to churn some more until evenly incorporated. Enjoy immediately for a soft-serve ice cream or return to your storage container and freeze for a harder more store-bought consistency!