Ricotta is truly a God Tier food. One of my favourite ingredients in Italian cuisine. I love it on pizza and in lasagna when it comes to the savoury side, and in cannoli when it comes to dessert. This ice cream feels super Italian to me, which I love about it. I don’t remember seeing an ice cream like this when I was in Italy last fall but the flavours remind me of a lot of different things I ate while I was there.
This recipe comes together super quickly (no lie it’s such a snap it’s perfect for a weeknight), and just like I have found with other keto ice cream recipes, it requires a couple minutes to thaw or is best eaten shortly after it’s churned. I got a big tub of ricotta at Costco for just $7 so I’ve been going a little crazy with it (is ricotta the new berries??) but it’s such a versatile and delicious ingredient that I’m okay with it. Let me know in the comments if you have any creative uses for ricotta, I would love some more ideas!!
Ricotta Almond Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk from the carton not the can
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese full fat
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute I used half Lakanto monkfruit and half Swerve confectioners
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/16 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp glycerin optional, but helps with texture
- 3 egg yolks pasturized if you cannot consume raw eggs, or temper the egg with the cream and the milk
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds option for topping
- Combine all ingredients using a blender or a hand blender until completely smooth (If you cannot consume raw eggs this would be where you temper the egg yolks with the cream and milk… then allow to chill overnight and proceed with combining the rest of the ingredients)
- Churn according to your ice cream makers’ instructions and enjoy! Toast some sliced almonds in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat until golden brown for an extra hit of almond.