Does anyone remember how special it was when you were a kid, rooting around in the massive freezer of the local corner store, sifting through all the popsicles for your favourite flavour? Cherry – boring. Orange – eh. Lime – oooh now we’re getting spicy. But the holy grail was finding a root beer popsicle somewhere among the masses of unwanted grape. I hardly ever saw them but holy moly was it special when you did. Does anyone else remember those? All the better if you didn’t have to break them in two and share them with someone else.
The cream helps keep the texture of these guys from getting rock hard but they’re definitely an icier popsicle than the ones I’ve done in the past. I’m okay with it though, I love rootbeer floats and this is a fun spin on the (keto) classic of pouring heavy cream into your rootbeer and calling it a float. It’s surprisingly satisfying and if you haven’t done it, I would recommend it! But this definitely takes it to another level. Flavour possibilities are endless on this one as well, you could use diet coke, doctor pepper, orange soda… President’s Choice makes a wicked diet mango soda that I think would go beautifully in this recipe. The summer is long, friends, so let’s give them all a try and stay cool out there!
Rootbeer Float Popsicles
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbs powdered sugar substitute I use Swerve
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flat diet rootbeer
- Whip the heavy cream, vanilla and powdered sugar substitute until somewhere between soft and stiff peaks (it doesn’t have to be incredibly stiff but it should be able to hold some shape)
- Put a spoonful of the whipped cream at the bottom of each of the popsicle molds
- Pour the flat root beer into the remaining whipped cream and stir gently to combine – it will be a little lumpy, that’s okay
- Pour the mixture into the molds and freeze overnight and enjoy!